Water is one of the world’s most important resources. We take our responsibility in monitoring Victoria’s surface water resources very seriously.
We collect surface water quality and quantity data from over 900 sites as part of our field-based operation and maintenance activities for the Regional Water Monitoring Partnership, which is managed by the Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP).
This partnership has more than 40 member organisations, including local government bodies, catchment management authorities, water authorities, the Bureau of Meteorology, and private industry. They have partnered to reduce duplication and increase efficiency, an aim we are pleased to support.
Helping our clients make informed water resource management decisions
Ventia operates and maintains surface water monitoring sites, as well as collecting and verifying data on level, flow, rainfall and water quality.
We are proud to assist DELWP with its emergency response to flood events as another part of our service agreement. We use the Event Reporting Radio Telemetry System (ERRTS) as well as our in house designed Portable Automated Logging Systems (PALS) technology to relay real time water level information and imagery to State Emergency Services and Bureau of Meteorology.
- site design, construction and installation for both surface water and water quality monitoring sites
- flow measurement to establish a height versus flow relationship for a large number of open channel flow metering sites
- telemetry design and installation with web based historian
- verification of metering sites accuracy to AS4747 +/-5%
- calibration and servicing in accordance with Australian standards and national guidelines
- low, medium and high flow gauging
- measuring, assessing and reporting on operational status of monitoring sites, including calibration of instrumentation and controls
- reviewing and maintaining instrumentation data base as well as Asset inventory condition reporting
- providing current data status and rating reviews
- site/sectional and primary device surveys
- reviewing all data and information, and providing recommendations for process improvements
- confirming the quality of data gathered from continuous monitoring hydrometric sites is suitable for the intended use.