The Liverpool-Parramatta Transitway (LPT) requires reliable and responsive Operations & Maintenance (O&M) services for its Intelligent Transport System (ITS) and communication network to support public transport services for more than three million passengers a year.
As the O&M contractor, Ventia gave surety to the LPT owners, operators and users that the ITS would provide them with accurate, real-time information to manage services, and for passengers to plan their journeys.
The LPT provides a managed dedicated roadway for bus transit through western Sydney from Liverpool to Parramatta. The LPT consists of 39 stations along the route where passengers have access to real-time travel information including 'next bus' times and travel times along the corridor. The ITS network is designed to be fully redundant. Each northbound and southbound platforms have a master and slave switch setup in the case of failure, as well as a ring architecture designed to flow traffic in the opposite direction around a failure.
The stations have a number of Public Information Displays (PIDs) that provide all the bus timing and travel information. The system includes monitoring CCTV cameras and remote help phones for emergency use by passengers.
Ventia provided O&M services under a work order contract. A monthly on-call retainer was paid, and any works were based on a schedule of rates, and agreed by the customer through a Request for Order process.
The ITS and communication network for the LPT features:
- Passenger Information Displays (PIDs) showing real-time travel information for bus arrival and departure timings
- Detector loops for bus priority signalling via SCATS, including loop cutting and install, cable termination, connections to controllers, detection testing and communications back to SCATS
- CCTV for security monitoring of bus station platforms and surrounding areas
- Help Phones for emergency assistance for passengers at every station platform
- Visual Impaired Devices to provide accessibility for visually impaired passengers
- Digital Voice Announcement equipment for arrival and departure information announcements on bus platforms.